The highly trained Therapeutic Massage Therapists at Collegiate Sports Medicine can help solve a variety of ailments. Specialized massage therapy techniques can help you recover from an injury (sports or non-sports related), recuperate during post-surgery, relieve pain, treat consistent pain, reduce stress, promote relaxation, and even address anxiety and depression.
Our passionate and highly skilled massage therapists specialize in therapeutic massage techniques that increase relaxation. With years of experience and dedication to excellence, our practitioners personalize each session to address your unique needs, whether you seek relief from chronic pain, rehabilitation from an injury, or simply a moment of relaxation in a hectic world, our team at Collegiate Sports Medicine offers a variety of techniques help.
Many musculoskeletal injuries can be treated and prevented with massage. Regular massage helps achieve a feeling of physical and emotional well-being; This results in maintaining ideal health. Ultimately, we use techniques to help improve circulation, neutralize muscular tension, relieve pain, reduce stress and promote health and well-being.
Massage Therapy – What Sets Us Apart
We understand that every individual is different. That’s why we take a comprehensive approach to your care. Our therapists conduct thorough assessments, considering your medical history, lifestyle, and specific concerns. This allows us to tailor a personalized treatment plan that targets the root cause of your discomfort.
- We will incorporate therapeutic techniques such as Myofascial Release, Craniosacral Therapy &/or Deep Tissue massage into your treatment.
- We will work with you to find an effective, sustainable self-care home program strategy of stretches to help achieve/maintain your treatment goals.
- We will collaborate with your other Collegiate Practitioners, such as Physiotherapists or Athletic Therapists, as needed to direct your treatment
- We are trained to target deep tissues as well. This means treatment may feel quite intense at times. Communicate with your Therapist for the best experience and treatment.
- All of our Massage Therapists have 2200 hrs or more accredited program hours
“Anyone who routinely pushes their physical limits or is involved in repetitive activities, from Athletes to Receptionists, will benefit from Massage Therapy.”
Massage Therapy Techniques Available Include:
- Therapeutic or Deep Tissue Massage – Alleviate muscle tension and stiffness while improving mobility
- Myofascial Release – Release tension in the fascia, promoting improved movement and reduced pain
- Trigger Point Therapy – Target specific areas of muscle tension for pain relief and improved function
- Craniosacral Therapy – gentle, hands-on approach that aims to enhance the body’s natural healing abilities by regulating the flow of cerebrospinal fluid and releasing tension in the craniosacral system
- Prenatal Massage – benefits for expectant mothers, addressing both the physical and emotional changes that come with pregnancy
- Myofascial Cupping – using suction cups to alleviate muscle tension, promote circulation, and release fascial restrictions for improved mobility and pain relief
- Reiki – a holistic healing practice that involves the channeling of universal energy to promote relaxation, balance, and overall well-being
- Muscle Energy – involves active patient participation to release muscle tension and improve joint mobility through controlled muscle contractions and stretching
- Lymphatic Drainage – a gentle technique designed to stimulate the lymphatic system, aiding in the removal of toxins, reducing swelling, and promoting overall immune function
- Reflexology – focusing on applying pressure to specific points on the feet, hands, or ears to stimulate corresponding organs and promote relaxation and healing throughout the body
Our Massage Therapists are constantly learning and underoging extra training for new techniques to use during treatment. Each has their own specialities and experience so please talk to our receptionists about which therapist is best for you.
While some specific treatment techniques seem unconventional they have all been shown to have benefits with different individuals.
[wpforms id="2172" title="false"]
A specialized massage therapy technique, Myofascial Release targets the fascia, a thin fiber that surrounds and supports muscles, bones, nerves, and organs. The fascia can become tense, restricted and stuck together due to injury, overuse, stress or inflammation leading to pain, limited range of motion and/or discomfort. Myofascial Release is a technique that frees tension in the fascia to restore normal function. During a myofascial release session, a massage therapist applies slow and deliberate strokes, targeting specific areas where the therapist identifies tension or restrictions. By applying sustained pressure and holding it for a period, the therapist aims to facilitate the release of tightness and adhesions within the fascia, allowing for increased mobility, reduced pain, and improved function.
Myofascial release can be beneficial for various conditions, including:
- Chronic pain: It can help alleviate chronic pain conditions by releasing tension in the fascia that may contribute to discomfort.
- Injuries: It aids in the rehabilitation of injuries by improving tissue mobility and reducing scar tissue formation.
- Postural issues: Myofascial release can address imbalances caused by poor posture, helping to improve alignment and flexibility.
- Stress relief: It can promote relaxation and reduce stress by releasing tension held within the fascia.
Common Conditions Treated With Myofascial Release:
- Back & Neck Pain
- Head Trauma
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Reoccurring Injuries
- Chronic Pain & Dysfunction
Prenatal massage offers a range of benefits for expectant mothers, addressing both the physical and emotional changes that come with pregnancy. Here are some key advantages:
- Pain Relief: Prenatal massage can alleviate common discomforts associated with pregnancy, such as back pain, sciatic nerve pain, and muscle tension. The therapist uses specialized techniques to target these specific areas and provide relief.
- Reduced Swelling: Edema, or swelling, is a common issue during pregnancy due to increased fluid retention. Massage can help stimulate circulation and lymphatic drainage, reducing swelling in the extremities.
- Improved Sleep Quality: Many pregnant women struggle with insomnia or disrupted sleep patterns. Prenatal massage promotes relaxation and can contribute to better sleep by reducing stress and anxiety.
- Stress and Anxiety Reduction: Pregnancy can bring about heightened stress and anxiety levels. Massage triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural mood enhancers, helping to alleviate stress and promote a sense of well-being.
- Hormone Regulation: Prenatal massage may influence hormone levels, including reducing levels of stress hormones and increasing the release of serotonin and dopamine. This hormonal balance contributes to improved mood and emotional well-being.
- Improved Joint Mobility: As the body undergoes changes during pregnancy, joints can become more mobile or, in some cases, less stable. Massage helps maintain joint flexibility and can ease discomfort associated with these changes.
- Enhanced Body Awareness: Prenatal massage encourages mothers-to-be to connect with their changing bodies. This heightened awareness can contribute to a positive body image and a stronger mind-body connection.
- Preparation for Labor: Some believe that prenatal massage can help prepare the body for labor by promoting relaxation, easing tension, and increasing overall comfort. While more research is needed in this area, many women find that massage contributes to a more positive pregnancy experience.
It’s important to note that pregnant women should consult with their healthcare provider before starting any new form of therapy, including massage, to ensure it is safe for their individual pregnancy circumstances. Additionally, seeking the services of a massage therapist trained in prenatal massage is crucial to ensure that the techniques used are appropriate and safe during pregnancy.
We have everything to help including comfort bolsters to make sure you’re comfortable.